Skip to main content

Reply to "Players drinking"

I am with Bodeaux on this - it doesn't matte if it is a school rule or a team rule...YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW WHEN YOU DRINK AND DO DRUGS!!!!!!! That is enough for me to punish the players.

I have it in writing that if a player is caught drinking and / or doing drugs they are subject to removal.

I don't think we need to boot them on the first offense. If you boot them then they have MORE time to get out and do bad stuff. By keeping them around and punishing them you may be able to make an impact in that young man's life. If he does it a second time then remove the young man because he is useless to you. High school kids are going to make dumb decisions - they have since the first day of time. It is our job to teach them.

Speaking of teaching them where and what are the parents doing in these situations? How can you not know your child is out doing this stuff? The worst part is when the parent upholds or defends their sons when they do this type of stuff.

I used to have a different perspective when I first started. I would can them in a heartbeat but my sister became addicted to drugs and lost a lot of stuff that is valuable to her. Everyone needs a second chance and everyone needs an opportunity to learn from their mistakes. Our school has a drug testing program for athletes and I had a player get busted over it. He was removed from my team and he got worse. His parents let him do whatever he wanted. If he was suspended, run til he puked, carried the equipment, apologize to the team or whatever punishment you want to do - keep them around to teach them.

Remember, coaches and schools may be the only stable influence in a young man's life. Give them a second chance but if they blow it then they need to be cut loose.