Skip to main content

Reply to "Players drinking"

"I went to a party, Mom"

I went to a party, and remembered what you said.
You told me not to drink, Mom so I had a sprite instead.
I felt proud of myself, the way you said I would, that I didn't drink and drive, though some friends said I should.
I made a healthy choice, and your advice to me was right, the party finally ended, and the kids drove out of sight.
I got into my car, sure to get home in one piece, I never knew what was coming, Mom something I expected least.
Now I'm lying on the pavement, and I hear the policeman say, the kid that caused this wreck was drunk."
Mom, His voice seems far away. My own blood's all around me, as I try hard not to cry. I can hear the paramedic say, this girl is going to die."
I'm sure the guy had no idea, while he was flying high, because he chose to drink and drive; now I would have to die.
So why do people do it, Mom. Knowing that it ruins lives? And now the pain is cutting me, like a hundred stabbing knives. Tell sister not to be afraid, Mom tell daddy to be brave, and when I go to heaven, put "Daddy's Girl" on my grave.
Someone should have taught him, that it’s wrong to drink and drive. Maybe if his parents had, I'd still be alive.
My breath is getting shorter, Mom I'm getting really scared. These are my final moments, and I'm so unprepared.
I wish that you could hold me Mom, as I lie here and die.
I wish that I could say I love you, Mom
So I love you and good-bye.

Unknown Author

I started with this poem because it relates and it's the week of prom here. I cannot recall ever being directly affected by a drunk driver, but I've seen the destruction of a drunk driver. I have also been directly affected by a car accident, the Class of 2007 lost a teammate, a classmate, and a great kid because he had stayed up too late and he fell asleep at the wheel on the way to football weight lifting. He met a tractor trailer on a narrow highway and crossed over the yellow line. The trucker rolled the semi trying to avoid it, but couldn't avoid it quick enough. I don't want to go to another funeral for someone my age again.

This topic is very important to me because I've seen the affects and I've helped portray the affects to our school twice in my high school career. The normal teenager "is invincible." If you don't believe me, ask one of them.

Underage drinking is a big problem in our society. Why? Because teenagers have an adventurous side to them and so they want to "test the waters" with alcohol or narcotics, whatever. Also, it is seen as being the cool thing to do and that's what high school is all about. I gotta be cool.

Athletics are not a right. I don't have the "right to play baseball" anymore than I have the "righ to kick your butt" because I want to. It's a privilege. With privileges come expectations. As a baseball player, I am expected to perform to the best of my ability 100% of the time. I am expected to obey the Athletic Training Standards as set by the school board. I am expected to be a model citizen. With this said, I wish to post another poem:

Little Eyes Upon You
There are little eyes upon you
That watch you day and night.
There are little ears that quickly take in every word that you say.
There are little hands all eager to do anything you do
And a little child who is dreaming of the day he / she will be like you

You are the little one's idol
The wisest of the wise.
In their little minds no suspicions ever rise about you
They believe in you devoutly
And hold all you say and do
So that he may do the same when he /she is grown up just like you.

There is a wide eyed little one
Who believes you are always right
And his/ her eyes are always open watching you day and night.
You are setting an example everyday in all you do
For the little one who is waiting to grow up to be just like you.

The first time I heard this poem was from my high school basketball coach. I believe this is something all athletes should hear because it's absolutely true that athletes are looked up upon and they are held to a higher standard. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

CPLZ, I find it interesting you are so opposed to the school representing itself with its best. I would not consider a law-breaker to be the "best" of a school. I would also like your son's input into this type of thing and how you are going to handle him attending an institution that will nearly tell him what he can and cannot do and when he can or cannot do it.

Finally, Waterloo High School's policy:

First offense: 23% of season (baseball that is 8 games)
Second offense: 1 full calendar year
Third offense: your high school athletic career is now over

This policy starts when you enter as a freshman and ends when you graduate (or are thru with school sports). For example, Joe gets caught smoking September of his freshman year. He plays only baseball. He sits 8 games of his freshman season. Joe becomes a sophomore and he's got a junior girlfriend who wants to go to prom. They hit a party with some adult refreshments afterwards and the cops show up. Joe finds himself in court and he finds that baseball uniform missing as he now sits til April of his junior year. So Joe is now in the summer between his junior and senior year. It's the 4th of July and Joe has a beer or two. He starts shooting fireworks and the cops happen to drive by. He's been busted again and this time Joe finds he no longer plays high school athletics.

Other extra curricular activities have policies as well, but I believe those are expressed in weeks.

------------
For any of you who might not know, I'm a senior in high school. I can honestly say I've never drank a beer, smoked a cigarette, or anything like that. You better believe I've been tempted at least once to drink. One of my sisters was known to drink underage.

I read this thread and I don't recall seeing any player input. That probably has to do with those guys are out playing! I'd like to see some player input as well.