Skip to main content

Reply to "Players drinking"

There are rules and when you break the rules, things will happen to you. Although I strongly disagree with many of our country's laws regarding substance use/abuse, I understand that fact. That being said I think there is a strong double standard set in our society regarding alcohol policy and laws in general pertaining to minors. If you are caught speeding in MA and you're under eighteen, your license is suspended for 90 days for the first offense. Once you turn 18, nothing happens. If you are drinking and you're under 21 and get caught, there are unending consequences that may await you. I understand the idea that younger people may not be able to make the same decisions as adults, but adults behave like children constantly (especially regarding alcohol). None of my friends drive drunk. I think our society has done a good job educating my generation about the dangers of drunk driving. To quote president Carter, I don't think the penalties should be worse than the actual effects of the action. Just my opinion.