Skip to main content

Reply to "Players Missing Games"

quote:
j2h6: "Explain....so that this exception isn't habit forming"..

...back when I was coaching high school I always allowed each player 1 free pass....things happen, their teenagers....but after that they were all held accountable, anything else missed, they would have to suffer what ever the consequences.....which were spelled out to them very clearly as well as to the parents at the beginning of the season, at the end of the first day of practice. You see, I made it very clear that after that free pass there were no excused absences. All Doctor appts., dental visits, eye exams were to take place on their time not my time. I also made it very clear that at that first meeting with the parents and players that I did not want to hear from the parents. I was not here for the parents, I was here for the players. Don't get me wrong I interacted very well with the parents but by stating that up front I never once ever received a phone call from a parent asking about why Johnny was'nt playing or the kid getting his parents to call in sick for him so he could take a break or do whatever while everyone else was working hard. It's time for these boys to start growing up, taking responsibility for themselves, their actions and the decisions they make. If I'm making a total commitment to them, I simply expected the same in return, nothing more, nothing less. The statement I made was simply to say that I provide you a pass, your only pass, there will be no more excused absences for any reason. Don't expect my free pass to become habit forming as this won't be extended to you again this year....you've now used up your one freebee.....the fact that it's over a 3 game weekend.....well you'll have to figure that one out won't you. If this is a varsity team....can't the player drive himself to the event after the games....the double header seems to be early enough, I'd imagine something should be able to be worked out. What ever you decide you need to stick to your guns, stay consistent in your actions, what ever you decide with everyone. It's a difficult decision but one that will make a statement to the entire team based on how you handle it.....