Skip to main content

Reply to "Players Missing Games"

This is a good off season (for me) topic. At a time when rules can be reviewed and updated. I would like to know what other HS coaches have as their attendance/penalty rule.

My rule is missed practice is 1/2 game each miss for excused absences, and 1 game for unexcused. I present this more as a reward for those who don't miss. I also remind them that a player that takes over their position, may take over their position for good. It does have to be pointed out that this penalty is in effect with the plans for players on that day already. So, if a player was to be a late substitution they would not play at all. A starter would sit the 1/2 game.

I like how one coach put the penalty as a chance for the players who missed to get back into "baseball shape" before they got back in the line-up.

I'm also wondering if anyone has a great scenerio that helps explain to the Parents and players the need for this rule. How do you relate it to a real life situation. Here's a quote for instance about playing time and allowing the player to earn that:

Parent/ Coach Meeting:
"If I can, I want to add another thought on parents talking to the coach. Say John is working so hard to start. He puts in the time but the player ahead of him is just a little better. That player rests on his laurels and John keeps working. There comes a time when the coach has to make a decision. If John's parents approach the coach about John's playing time and then John starts, John will never receive the credit he is due from his teammates. It will appear as if the parents got that start for John. Please be careful when/how you approach the coach. John deserves the credit for his hard work and most coaches I know will come around to starting John."

That is a great scenerio, and most parents can relate. I don't remember who I'm quoting here, but I thank them for their wisdom.