Skip to main content

Reply to "Players Missing Games"

TCB, Sorry I didn't realize they'd already gone down to celebrate the birthday with grandma earlier. So the boy has paid his respects. That makes a difference in my thoughts.

STILL, it might be about some other problem for the family. If there are relatives coming from all corners of the earth and they haven't seen each other for years, again, it might be this family's only opportunity to connect for a long time. It's hard to judge what is of great importance to one family based on your own. Also, maybe it's not even a matter of the family needing the boy to attend the reunion/party but the fact that they'd have to leave him at home alone for the weekend because the rest of them will attend. And, really, it's not a regular birthday party here. It's a milestone gathering for the matriarch of the family-- not much different from a wedding or other important event. Would being in his sister's or cousin's wedding be excused, or would he have to decline that in order to play in his games?

I guess I'm saying that sometimes families have special circumstances that require flexibility. I am a firm believer in team commitment, but call us clannish southerners, we also believe family commitments trump everything else. (Not every family gathering is important enough to miss practices or games, but certain ones are.) If that family is loyal and committed other than this one request, then I'd have to think long and hard about making them choose between team and family.