Skip to main content

Reply to "Players Missing Games"

My son (8th grade)has his tryouts next week for his middle school team. Don't know what's going to happen, just hope he makes it, as well that he goes on to make the HS teams! As a parent who's been going to baseball games since he was 7, I can't imagine missing 3 Varsity games that I could be watching him play. I totally understand there are sometimes reasons we can't make a game/practice, but they did have plenty of time to plan so that he could make atleast two of the games. Over the years of baseball there were always the kids that missed several practices and or games, and some of those kids have already dropped out of baseball (now 12-13yr olds). I'm not talking about rec baseball games either, but all-star & travel games. We've gone to all lengths to get our son to games & practices when situations arose. I know some other parents did too, but others just didn't have that same commitment. I feel bad for the kid because it may be out of his control. If the parents were "concerned" (I guess) I think they would have worked something out. I just know one day I hope to be able to watch my son play on his HS Varsity team. If he does he will most likely never miss a game or practice, unless he is very ill, or death in family, or something along those lines. BUT, that is just me though (and my husband)we've always been that way, even in our own jobs. I am not going to knock anyone who says let him go, don't penalize him. I am not saying my way of thinking is the right way. The truth is we all want to do the RIGHT thing by our children, and we just hope our choices are the right ones. It's all we can do. The jury is still out on whether we made all the right choices for our kids, there still growing up. I'll get back to everyone on that in about ten years! lol