Skip to main content

Reply to "Players Missing Games"

quote:
The principal and AD had me in to meet with them to discuss my policies and the situation in general. Several points were discussed:
1. My policy has been clearly stated for several years.
2. I do not believe my sport is more important than any other activity, but everyone has to make tough choices in life.
3. This trip is another extracurricular activity they may have to make a choice about; if they loved playing s****r, golf and football, which are all played during the same season, they would have to choose one; they couldn't play them all.

The AD and Principal asked if I would "re-form" how my policy reads, but keep it essentially intact. I had no problem with that whatsoever.

The AD and Principal met with the two sets of parents over a 2 hour period the next day. They supported my decision, told the parents that and while they listened to the parents, they held firm that my rules for the team were acceptable.

Who needs to put up with all this. Then you wonder why coaches leave. You make a rule. You enforce it and you have to put up with the above? the good thing is that the administration backed the coach. but look at all the time and agravation spent in dealing with the issue of a player breaking the rule. I coached high school for 25 years. I still teach. Most parents are fine but there are those that believe discipline is great as long as it is not for their son or daughter.