Skip to main content

Reply to "Playing an NCAA Sport is not that easy!"

The NCAA metrics have gone up and I'm not sure how or why?  It used to be 5.6% for NCAA baseball when I first starting reading HSBBWeb posts 12+ years ago.   I wonder if there is a trend to offer more NCAA sports as the number of colleges and Universities is relatively static?  I wouldn't think so.

I agree anybody who can play an NCAA sport and succeed in the classroom is probably going to be successful in life.  Times have changed and recruiting college athletes (in every sport) has become its own industry, and a way for colleges to attract people they wouldn't normally target.   I was talking to my Dad about his college athletic experiences (he was a gymnast in the late 50s/early 60s...academic scholarship) and he said he had very little contact with the Coach during the admission process.  He remembers talking to him once and that was only because he visited the campus by himself (6 hours away).   My grandparents worked, and my father was the first in his family to go college.   My experience was very similar in the early 80's.  I applied to a handful of schools and talked to the tennis coach via phone, and visited each campus on my own.   My parents had better things to do than visit a college, and left that up to me.   College was not a big concern for them...although that would change in 1982 when my tuition would go up 50%.  Contrast that with today's college recruiting experiences (and scandals), showcases, camps and college visits.  It is extremely hard to be in that 7.3% or whatever it is.  

Families are scrutinizing every last penny as they may have multiple kids to get through college....I know I did.   It really makes me wonder some days if college sports is the tail wagging the dog.