Skip to main content

Reply to "Playing an NCAA Sport is not that easy!"

I think that there are also different kinds of "hard". My 2018 has found the BB(at a D3 equivalent) to be a joy as a Freshman, and while he spends a lot of time training, the rewards have far outweighed the pain. Loves the coaches, and teammates. He has surprised me at how at how far he has been able to train and sculpt his body. He is in a very rigorous school, however, and he has found the studies to be a real challenge. He is doing well, but it has taken him a lot of all nighters. It does help that other team mates are also in the same boat, whether it be ChemE, CS, Honors Finance, or the like. While they do have more than their fair share of fun, they HAVE to study. Their star SS was lost to the team, as he wasn't able to keep up academically.

Some of his buddies who went on to play college ball have had varied experiences. One has quit BB already. Many can't get any playing time, or are having trouble being effective when they do( at  D1 P5's, Mid majors, D3's, and other levels). One pitcher at a mid major has done really well...a couple few years ago he was a relative nobody, as was a guy who is doing well playing for an Ivy. Another went to a JUCO, and did so well that he has been picked up by a top 25 D1. Another went to a Juco World Series. My takeaway from all this is that players continue to evolve past HS/travel BB, and that going to a top 40 school for baseball isn't always the best thing. Make sure that it's also the school for academics, because BB might end up being less of a factor than you thought, and sooner than you thought. There are all sorts of different expectations amongst these kids academically, but there is no doubt that they will be better off ending up with a degree out of their college BB career, whether it be a two year degree out of a Juco or a 5 year ENG/Finance/What have you degree out an elite school.