Skip to main content

Reply to "Playing college baseball after minor leagues?"

I think I might be able to clearify some of the confusion on this link. First of all, the NCAA is a web of rules that can drive you nuts. Here's the deal for DIII--A player after playing professional baseball can return to play NCAA college DIII baseball as long as he did not sign with an agent, they must spend a "year in residency" before becoming eligible and would have 3 yrs of eligibility remaining. Next question does everyone have an agent? Answer: The MLBPA only allows those that make more than league minimum to officially hire an agent to take part of their cut. If a player is drafted lets say round 25 or lower, they usually do not have an agent and if they were to get released, they would have the option to return to DIII. Yes, a friend of mine is on a major league team, playing everyday, rookie, making league minimum believe it or not sets up everyone of his own interviews and showings because he is not allowed to hire an agent, go figure. As for DII, I know there are provisions to play pro and return to DII as well, however I am guessing they are different than what we have at the DIII level, which by the way was instituted Aug 1, 2006. So ifyou know anyone in a similar situation, please email me or call me, I'd be more than happy to talk to them about my opportunity on the east coast :-)