Skip to main content

Reply to "Playing college baseball after minor leagues?"

TPM,
I understand what you are saying, however as the MLBPA states, an agent cannot be paid unless they are making above the min salery. What often happens, is the "hang around" help out the individual until he makes it and then they already have a relationship forged with that person! According the guy I know, Agents are like HAWKS at the minor league camps just trying to get in so when something happens they are the person that is thought of. Many have "advisors" but are not paid unless they make that minimum number. Even though they are in the minors they are still governed by the the major league rules even though you need such as when a player gets drafted and signs are large bonus or sometimes any bonus. The point is if some one gets drafted in the 40th round, signs for a 10k signing bonus, plus the minor league contract, he cannot hire an agent. Hence the word "advisor" who is an agent many times, but they are not contractually bound, nor does any money change hands. Either way, I wouldn't mind finding some ex-minor leaguers who didn't have agents and want a degree!! :-)