Skip to main content

Reply to "Playing college baseball after minor leagues?"

VJC,
I think I'm missing something here. I have never heard of a minor league player NOT being allowed to have an agent.
quote:
The point is if some one gets drafted in the 40th round, signs for a 10k signing bonus, plus the minor league contract, he cannot hire an agent.

My son had an agent (not an advisor) prior to getting ANY signing bonus. Matter of fact the agent negotiated the signing bonus in addition to equipment contracts etc.

The player pays the agent a % of his signing bonus and then the agent is not paid again until the player makes the minimum MLB salary. However, that agent is still acting as the player's agent and is under a contract with the player. Many times college and high school players use unpaid agents acting as advisors (no contracts) during the HS and college years to assist them through the pro draft. Obviously these "advisors" are anticipating a contract with the player at a later date. You might say this is free advice in hopes of becoming that players agent when he turns pro.
Fungo