Skip to main content

Reply to "Playing for a bad team"

I played three sports through high school and college baseball. I only went through three losing seasons. Two were my first two years of LL at nine and ten. But we played pickup baseball all day, all summer.

If you want to suffer get beat up playing football on a losing team. Junior high was grades 7-9. The junior high was new. I was new to the district in 9th grade. Several of the previous year’s 8th graders (mostly athletes) were allowed to stay where they were one more year. Try playing QB on a 1-7 football team surrounded by very little talent. I met a lot of the opposing team … in the backfield.

Later in the fall a very talented athlete transferred in. We dominated basketball and baseball. Two games per week with two dominate pitchers works. The best defense is double digit whiffs.

My son played on one losing 12u basketball team. O-S (knees) forced the three tallest kids to sit out the season. My daughter knew how to play volleyball. She had just grown to 5’10”. The first year our high school had girls volleyball the team only won one match. They struck mediocre by her junior year. It was offset with six conference titles in seven years in basketball and softball.