Skip to main content

Reply to "Playing for a bad team"

I'm not sure what your deal is with losing D1 programs but you don't know the details that led to players choosing that school. And I know you didn't explicitly say D1, but it's been a theme. I also don't think it's fair to continually look down on losing programs the same way it wouldn't be fair for someone to look down on your son because he is at a D2 as opposed to a D1. As you've mentioned - your sons school was a good fit for him. That is probably the case for a lot of the kids at those schools as well.

One of mine is at a P5, the other is committed to what I consider to be a good mid major program. They both had offers from losing programs - they were very enticing. The youngest had P5 offers and entertained very generous offers from schools that will only win 15-20 games a year. Why - he would not have seen a single bill in his 4-5 years at the school unless he opted into the deluxe meal plan.

He chose a school where an NCAA tournament berth will be dependent on whether they win their conference. That is fine with me - it's a great fit and it's cheap. I'd prefer for him to be in a good situation with the right people than be at a P5 on 25% with a coaching change imminent, knowing he was already starting at a disadvantage.

We had a player commit to us recently. He had an offer from neary every CWS program. He has no business coming to our program. His mom has colon cancer and we're 1.5hrs from home. Our coach is letting him go home on weekends in the fall - nobody has an issue with it.

I talked to the parents of a kid on our HS team. He committed to a school the oldest had an offer from. The dad mentioned the plans to build a new stadium and renovate the locker room as a factor in the decision. That was the same thing I heard on our visit up there 6 years ago - they were waiting for the admins to give the green light. They are still waiting on that green light.

This isn't an attack, don't get it twisted. But you don't know what you don't know and it's not fair to judge. The most enjoyable weekend of baseball I've had as a spectator was a 3 game spanking on opening weekend. I also saw five first round picks play that weekend with more on the way. Some people just enjoy watching their kid(s) play baseball.