Skip to main content

Reply to "Playing High School vs. Playing Travelball"

My son plays in a high school league that has a lot of talent. College players on each team. He plays summer and fall ball in a league where most of the players will play at some level in college. The over all talent base is higher. They travel to PG events and other showcase tourneys around the country. He has many friends on BOTH teams. We always end up having kids over or picking him up from a teammates house. That being said, it would be very tough for me to say that it is less important for him to play for his  high school. So much pride and competition with kids he grew up playing against. I value those things too. 

Fwiw, we were brought in before freshman season began and told that the coach would only talk to parents on extreme circumstances. He would rather the parents relay info to the coach thru the kids. It helped them get mature faster and helped us trust the kids more. We email the coach with various reasosn but after three years my son does all the talking to the high school coach. Travel team is not as strict but the parents naturally give them room to operate. They are more used to to being self sufficient and talking to adults from the tourneys they travel to constantly.