Skip to main content

Reply to "Playing on a Travel Team That's Not Local"

Baseballcomesthird posted:

Which clubs would you consider the top clubs? My club goes to many New England tournaments and one Perfect Game Tournament each year.

You've gotten some good advice above and I would agree with it.  I know a kid who did exactly what you are proposing, at about your age. I can't see how it boosted his trajectory over what he would have had if he instead stayed on his New England based team.  That said, one example doesn't make the argument one way or the other.

To answer your specific question, 9 and 7 have been out of travel ball for a couple of years, both now in college.  The two organizations that immediately come to mind for high level travel out of New England are North East baseball and the New England Ruffnecks.  Perhaps there are others, I know East Cobb was starting a program in New England but I couldn't speak to it's current status or success.  I would highly recommend you ask around, watch games at the Ruffnecks complex in Nothboro and not just simply look at websites.  Those are often not a good depiction of the program.  Some will post these huge alumni lists that include kids who may have put on a uniform for a one weekend appearance (or maybe a couple, sometimes after they had already previously committed to a school) or played for the organization at a young age and then moved on.  I suppose it's good marketing, but really isn't accurate and in my opinion reflects poorly on the organization.  Further, as CACO posted above, many organizations run multiple teams at the same age level, my experience suggests there will be variation in the quality of those teams.

Do your own homework in the real world if you are looking for the right fit.