Skip to main content

Reply to "Playoff Craziness"

roothog66 posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

Wow, same here.....definitely what I thought happened....I thought the guy at second had a lead, took a secondary then ran straight to home or to wherever the dogpile had started....I find it hard to believe that he didn't touch 3rd considering he looks to have gone directly over it.  Hard to tell what the 3rd base ump was watching....if he was watching anything at that point.  He is the only guy that can make that call, home plate ump has the plate, which is the game winning run, so I'm assuming he was watching that...and 1B ump has the batter.  He must have been awfully sure the kid missed it....especially after seeing the video.  Have they ruled on the appeal yet?

I can't imagine in my wildest dreams this gets overturned on appeal. It's a judgment call. Maybe a bad one, but, nevertheless...

The appeal isn't whether the runner touched third or not.  It has already been ruled that that is a judgement call and that video is never allowed in a review.  The umpire ruled the runner didn't touch third.

The appeal is whether the rule required him to or not.

The appeal was heard this morning and Johns Creek lost on a 3-1 vote by the four member panel.  Johns Creek has now appealed to the 9 member board of trustees who will consider the appeal Monday morning.  Had the vote been unanimous, no further appeal would have been allowed.

Interesting side note, and possible why this made national media so quickly, one of the Johns Creek player has a sister who is on camera talent for a local Atlanta news program.  She's been very active on social media on this and her station picked up the story immediately.

Will be interesting to see what comes of Monday.  If they win their appeal, there would be a third game required to decide who advances.  At that point, all pitchers will be available to throw unless they come up with yet another rule change to get involved with that as well.