Skip to main content

Reply to "Please don't be so arrogant"

The Doctor posted:
Matt13 posted:
RJM posted:

Sometimes a bad call will decide a game in the moment. But usually, if you're honest you can look back and say, "We could have won the game here, and here."

There is a very well-known coach that spoke at our association banquet a few years back. He said (paraphrasing) that there are 54 outs in a baseball game and every one is an opportunity...and he has never seen a game where umpires have been responsible for the majority of lost opportunitie

Matt13 posted:
The Doctor posted:
Matt13 posted:
The Doctor posted:

Umpires should not do stupid crap, and then parents won't feel the need to talk to them!

Let me say this again. Parents should not be talking to umpires, period. It is not their place, nor does it change anything. 

Of course, if you also mean to say that I can approach parents and criticize their parenting, then it's okay. 

You can say it as many times as you like, but umpires should not do stupid crap.

A bad call, or a missed call I can live with.

You can live with stupid crap, too, unless you actually are going to die over a baseball game.

Umpires don't like it when a player, a coach or a parent does something foolish, why should anyone expect nothing but the same from an umpire.

?

The Doctor posted:
Matt13 posted:
RJM posted:

Sometimes a bad call will decide a game in the moment. But usually, if you're honest you can look back and say, "We could have won the game here, and here."

There is a very well-known coach that spoke at our association banquet a few years back. He said (paraphrasing) that there are 54 outs in a baseball game and every one is an opportunity...and he has never seen a game where umpires have been responsible for the majority of lost opportunitie

Matt13 posted:
The Doctor posted:
Matt13 posted:
The Doctor posted:

Umpires should not do stupid crap, and then parents won't feel the need to talk to them!

Let me say this again. Parents should not be talking to umpires, period. It is not their place, nor does it change anything. 

Of course, if you also mean to say that I can approach parents and criticize their parenting, then it's okay. 

You can say it as many times as you like, but umpires should not do stupid crap.

A bad call, or a missed call I can live with.

You can live with stupid crap, too, unless you actually are going to die over a baseball game.

Umpires don't like it when a player, a coach or a parent does something foolish, why should anyone expect nothing but the same from an umpire.

?

For a player (depending on age) and a coach there may be a right place and time to question an umpire. It depends on your history with umpires. It's not in public and in the umpires face. I've had umpires tell me they made mistakes. But they trusted me. The conversation was civil. They knew the conversation would not go back to players and parents.

A parent's responsibility at a game is to support the players and team. Players and coaches make mistakes. Why does anyone expect umpires to be perfect. I expect them to hustle and put forth their best effort. Sometimes umpires have bad days.