Skip to main content

Reply to "Please help provide some direction?"

Wow, lots of good info there. Sounds like a fellow parent trying to do the right things. My guy is at La Salle, also a Junior, PM me if you want to talk local stuff.

Depending on what school your son is at, i.e. if its Bishop Hendricken, might determine whether or not his lack of Varsity play is a true determinant of value. My guy swung between JV and Varsity last year and that is based on having some talent in the face of a coach who is very loyal (and I agree with him!) to his upper classmen. i.e. the Sophomore catcher at Hendricken who was named captain in his freshman year would NEVER have seen playing time above the freshman team in his first year, and would have been a swing player his second year.) All this is to say, don't rule out your son's talent based on playing Varsity or not.

OK, having said that, there are lots more posts and lots more intelligent folk on this site than I so keep in mind this is based on what I have gleaned to date:

College Contacts: Remember to register him with the NCAA and get a clearinghouse code. Also, at that site, you will find links to colleges at the D1, 2, and 3 levels which you can sort geographically. My guy wanted to focus on the NorthEast so I converted that info to a spreadsheet and had him circle the top 10 he wanted to explore at this point. During the upcoming Feb vacation, he will visit at least two, most likely in RI to start. This is to start giving him a taste of the tour scene.

Back to that list, we then visited nearly every college web site in our focus area and filled out their Prospect Questionaire. You have to start somewhere getting him on their radar. With the college season starting out they will likely not spend much time looking at him but come July 1 they will be opening their books for the new academic application year.

College Camps: Pick a camp where one of his target schools as a coach attending. Call the coach a few days before the camp and ask if he can to take a look at you while you are there to assess your ability to play college ball. Remember it is one person's opinion so don't stake your playing career on it; more importantly it will help him focus on your son. The camp will also help your son 'break the ice' of playing with more competive kids and see how he matches up.

Don't rule out the Massachusets and Connecticut State Colleges; their prices are lower and many have good baseball and academic programs.

Clinics: Top 96 runs a fairly good entry level clinic which can potentially showcase him against area coaches.

Showcases: PG is one of the best, but they get the best of the best so it could be quite the reality check. And they are not cheap. The NorthEast Sunshine Event early June on Long Island may be the one to target.

As to academic showcases, HeadFirst is said to be among the top ones to check out.

Summer / Fall Play: Get on a travel team and/or Legion Team (your guy should be able to play senior legion. (If your local legion coach says no, have him give you a release to go to the next closest post). And then remember to share your schedule with those college coaches you have identified.

You say he is hitting twice a week through basketball season? That's great. You should consider that Franklin Pierce camp since he will probably be in as good, or better, baseball shape as 95% of the kids there. His basketball will have been good for his breath and agility. And his swinging will have kept him in a good baseball frame of mind.

Other area camps/clinics coming up include:
Johnson & Wales, 2 hour clinic, Feb 12 and/or 13, 12-2, only $25/$40
Franklin Pierce, multiple schools, Feb 13, $125
Holy Cross, Feb 13 and/or 20, 1 hour segments at $40 per hour
U Southern Maine Feb 20 OR Feb 26, low cost
College Basebal Coaches Camp 2/20 in NJ

Keep in mind the URI April Vacation Clinic April 18-20.

Recruiting Sites: IMHO berecruited.com though it has its foibles too, is the best site to use for the price. Pay the one time $60 fee and they provide an excellent tool for electronically alerting coaches of your interest (they don't have all schools, but they have a bunch!). And they can help with letter generation if you want that. Yeah you can use their free service but the next level is worth the price. Again, in this consumer's opinion, stay away from gameface and captain U.

Remember to register him for the May SAT. College coaches look for that number as they recruit.

Financial Aid: Play down your dual income status. From what I've seen, coaches prefer lesser players to have financial aid need as well as academic aid qualifications.

GPA: The NCAA site gives you a worksheet to figure his GPA. Its not all classes that are counted. And its not your college type GPA. In this world its 2 for a 70-79, 3 for an 80-89, 4 for a 90+. The only honors adjustment that means anything is a true AP course. You take the basic courses such as english, science, and math, add up the points, and divide by the number of courses being counted.

Height/Weight: Dustin Pedroia

Varsity Status: Michael Jordan didn't make his high school team.

Again, if you want to kibbitz about local RI baseball, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!