quote:
Originally posted by 55mom:
quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
quote:
Originally posted by zombywoof:
quote:
Originally posted by 55mom:
Several team moms are trying to collect money for coaches' gifts. The responses have been interesting. One person offered to buy a book, "Coaching 101", but no money. Another said "Absolutely Not!" Another asked if they had "earned" it, another if they "deserved" it.

While I do feel politics/favoritism have hurt the team, I also acknowledge that there wouldn't be a team if these guys hadn't essentially volunteered. I have tried to focus on that, and the fact that my son continues to work hard, and in many ways, is more prepared for the next level, than the guys currently standing on the pedestal.

I have to admit, I have only achieved limited success in ignoring it. :-) However, I am able to work around it.

High school coaches are paid, not volunteers. I cringed everytime these team moms came around with their hand out for donations for a gift. They get paid well for their regular teaching job and the extra loot they get paid to coach. I just don't get why they find this necessary.
The moms have been doing it since LL. It's their way of injecting themselves into the process. Some think it's helping their son's chances of playing. In some cases it may be true. I donate to the program through buying an ad in the program no one reads. I won't donate for a coach's gift.

excuse me? That is rude and sexist. And don't get on yer high horse - it's a blanket statement applied in a thoughtless way.

cripes
I'm stating what I've seen repeatedly since kiddie ball sports. If you don't like the truth so be it. Sometimes the truth isn't pretty. But it's still the truth. I've seen mothers attempt to get to the coaches in middle and high school with the same routine. I've seen mothers politic in middle and high school to be team mom when there isn't a team mom. I've seen mothers act like team mom when there isn't one. I've seen some become indignant when doing something for the team didn't help their son. I've never seen a dad say, "Let's raise some money for a gift for the coach." This doesn't mean there aren't dads conniving and politicking for their sons from different angles.

When I coached kiddie ball sports through pre high school sports I told the parents in the preseason meeting coaches don't need gifts because we coach for the love of the game and we don't need a team parent. It took politics out of the picture right from the start.

I remember when our school district redrew the elementary school boundaries due to growth and a new school. Two years later at the elementary school graduation the principal commented how well the kids handled change and how nice it would have been had the parents been able to do the same. The squabbling over power for home room mom and PTA spots after the lines were redrawn was ridiculous. At school events there were mothers who wouldn't talk to each other while attemptoing to run a school function. Just the truth.
Last edited by RJM