Skip to main content

Reply to "politics"

quote:
Originally posted by zombywoof:
High school coaches are paid, not volunteers. I cringed everytime these team moms came around with their hand out for donations for a gift. They get paid well for their regular teaching job and the extra loot they get paid to coach. I just don't get why they find this necessary.

I believe most high school coaches don't want the gifts - I know I don't. It's too awkward because it's usually done at some postseason banquet or cookout. Some busy body gets up in front of everyone and makes some speech about how great we are and then hands us something. But it just feels like everyone is looking at the two of us standing there watching the parent s uc k up to us. Maybe they are and maybe they aren't but it sure does look like it.

Also, the volunteer coaches are the ones who deserve something. To give up what they give up to coach for free is truly amazing. But how do you give it to them without making it look like someone is suckinp.

Not sure about where you are but in the two states I've taught the pay is ridiculos from teaching and coaching. For example - the school I'm at now I am asst. baseball, asst. football and have a masters degree. I'm probably going to have to get a job in the summer just pay my bills. I'm not living above my means either. How sad is it when someone who is highly educated, gets oustanding reports on observations and coaches two sports can't make ends meet?