Skip to main content

Reply to "politics"

Thanks for the compliment coach - I appreciate it.

I agree that there are several moms who help because it's the right thing to do and it has to be done. What I've found over the years is that typically parents fall into one of three categories

1. Small group who will do anything that needs to be done because they just want to help out. They have no ulterior motives although it may look that way. Without these people programs will really struggle.

2. Small group who will do volunteer themselves to do things or come up with things on their own to do. Whole purpose is to look good and get some special favors for their sons. This group will turn on a coach at the drop of a hat if they feel their son is being "cheated"

3. Largest group are the ones who will help out when asked. They don't step up and volunteer much but if you ask them to do something they jump right up and do it.

If you think you can run a program without parents being involved you are in for a lot of work that will never get done. Like coach said you welcome them with open arms but lay down the rules as what the roles are for each person who helps out. Set specific limits as to what they can or cannot do. If they want to follow the rules then things are great. If they don't want to follow the rules then do what needs to be done.

A successful program is made up of players, coaches AND parents. Besides it's their kids - how can you expect to keep them from being a part of their baseball life?