Skip to main content

Reply to "politics"

I have to say that I got my fair share of politics at college. From day one, when the coach who recruited me left the program, I was in for an uphill battle. I didn't know it at the time, but there were forces at play before I ever took a step onto campus.

I battled for 4 long years to overcome being on the wrong side of the political fence. My head coach for a long time had his guys who helped with the transition to D1, and to top that off, every year the new recruiting coach would bring in his crop of players that were slated to play.

I was never resentful at the players that were being given the upper hand, but instead I very much disliked the system. My class was getting decimated and the whole time I felt bad about myself.

Looking back, the situation did make me stronger and more mature but I should have either accepted my situation earlier or transferred. There is no reason to remain in a bad situation.

My experience showed a lot of the business of sports and really shaped a lot of my views on baseball that I hold now. I had to overcome a lot in college and hope my story can help the next generation of student-athletes.

Ken Jacobi

Author of “Going with the Pitch: Adjusting to Baseball, School, and Life as a Division I College Athlete”