Skip to main content

Reply to "politics"

We have asked him multiple times if he wants to play or not. I especially have explained to him that a big commitment is required as he gets older and the competition more fierce. It is a tough situation. His first love is football where he is a starter both ways, and is one of the coaches favorites. Baseball is more of a struggle. He is very quiet, and that is often mistaken for not being enthusiastic. He wants to play school ball, but has been mentally beaten down so badly over the last three years, with this same coach who just doesn’t think much of him. He told me after the first day of open gym that if he gets cut as a sophomore from JV, or sits this year, that will be it for school ball. I told him that he will get chances this year, and he has to kick that proverbial door open, and make them see his ability. He thinks that practicing a couple of times a week, and a couple of lessons a week are enough. I know it takes more, but he does not understand that, since football comes so easy to him, and he is very good at it with little preparation. We will keep working and see. I don’t believe in quitting, but when do we face reality, that maybe it’s not meant to be with school ball regardless of what he does? My biggest worry is that the teams (varsity and JV) are not well coached. The teams finish slightly above .500 every year. Varsity and JV practice together, which sounds good but it doesn’t allow enough time for each player to get his reps in the cage and in the field. Practice consists of warmup, catch, very little base running or running at all, about 10 swings in the cage, and shagging maybe 10 fly balls (he is an outfielder too). The pitchers get an invite around this time each year to do early morning workouts, but that is only if you are picked to do so. My son has never gotten an invite to work out with the pitchers. It’s a combination of lack of meaningful opportunities, and then he not capitalizing on the chances he gets. Very tough.