Skip to main content

Reply to "politics"

KTCOTB posted:

Well, here we are at the conclusion of the story. My son was cut today. He only cut two kids, my son, and a heavy set kid who can hit. He kept kids who are so bad, they will probably get hurt at some point in practice. It came down to politics, not ability. Yes perceived  attitude from players and parents has a tremendous effect, as I believe with everything in my soul that he was not cut because of ability. He is a pitcher, and was never allowed to try out for pitching. It’s a terrible end to a grueling struggle. For the last three years, he has had to endure this coach, and his favorites. People can say what they want, but politics are very real. My son had to learn today at 15 a hard lesson that life is not fair, and that giving your all, and hard work is not always enough. He worked hard this offseason, added about 5mph to his fastball, and was hitting beebees. Every travel team he tried out for he made easily. Not saint he is better than everyone else, he has his flaws but wow. I am heartbroken for him. A lesson to you young parents: don’t say anything to your kids coach, it will bite your in the ass. 

KTC, sorry to hear that happened.  Hopefully, better things lie ahead with football.  

That said, I feel compelled to point out as others have... LESS THAN A MONTH AGO, you were making some good honest assessments of your son's baseball shortcomings...

"He thinks that practicing a couple of times a week, and a couple of lessons a week are enough. I know it takes more, but he does not understand that… 

Baseball- his training lagged a bit… Yes, the game may push him out as the rigors become more intensive. He struggles with consistency and confidence. We all know those two are key to being successful…. 

Some of his problem is perception, but mostly that he is not putting forth the effort that is required to get to the next level. I did it, and so I know what it is like, and what it takes. A lot of it is his attitude."

Now, you are saying....

"...but politics are very real. My son had to learn today at 15 a hard lesson that life is not fair, and that giving your all, and hard work is not always enough. He worked hard this offseason..."

Definitely doesn't add up.  And it is still the wrong message to send to him even if partially true.  You also said he doesn't work hard at football because it comes easy to him.  If he wants to maximize his abilities on the football field and play at the next level, he will find himself in the same situation at some point in his path.  Either he improves his consistency and work ethic or he will find himself "in bad politics" again.  So, do you think he will benefit more now by hearing the REAL reasons why he didn't make the baseball team (all that you stated last month) or giving him the out that it was politics and life isn't fair?

Last edited by cabbagedad