Skip to main content

Reply to "politics"

As a parent of a kid who was cut from the HS team last year (after playing a year as a Freshman), I can say that a case could have been made that there were those who weren't as deserving that made it.   My son was also devastated.  However, I also understood that my son would at best be a bench player who got in at certain times.  He also worked hard, but not to the level that showed real dedication in my opinion.  Now, almost a year after he was cut (tryouts were in May), he is enjoying life (needs to do a bit better in his academics in my opinion, though), and I think overall it was a good thing.  I even thought this at the time as well, but it is still tough to see your kid disappointed.

My wife complains that my youngest son's situation (8th grader) is affected by politics as well.  The difference, though, is that she thinks he should bat 3rd or 4th, and he bats 6th in the starting lineup for our MS team.  He consistently bats 3rd or 4th in the travel team with different coaches and the same players.  In the end, I just tell her it doesn't matter, but heck if she can let things go....  it doesn't help that I'm the assistant coach for the MS team.  

Some people just see different things,and it will affect a a player position to a modest degree.  However, most cases they get it in the ballpark (pun intended).  I will say there was one situation with my oldest son that I know politics (in regard to a rich client's kid) played a role waaay back at 10U, but I won't get into that now.

I guess I could have done a better first post, lol.

Edit:  how do I have 10+ posts?

Last edited by Viking0