Skip to main content

Reply to "Poll - Trout, Cabrera or other for AL MVP"

Originally Posted by EdgarFan:

I stand corrected.  I agree with both of your comments (especially about the MVP not being about a projection of future ability or a reward for past greatness - something I specifically said not too many posts up, almost two years ago).

In my defense, what I meant really was, I feel vindicated by Trout's performance since because so many said he hadn't done enough to deserve it yet (really a refutation of our argument that the award is and should be ONLY about a singular stand-alone season), and that if he was really as good as we argued he was, he would continue to play well enough to earn lots of MVPs.  Well he has played that well, and he still hasn't gotten the MVP recognition he deserves.  Funny how most of the same people who said Trout hadn't done enough in 2012 to overcome Cabrera, and that he'd win plenty when he repeated that kind of season, STILL argued against Trout and for Cabrera in 2013 (when Trout was ALSO better than Cabrera).  It's hard to see any argument for anybody to beat out Trout this year, but it won't surprise me if the same crowd who argued for Cabrera over Trout over the last two years comes up with one.  

If it appears like the Tigers are in a dogfight for the division, could be Cabrera again. These dopes sure do like their RBI on a division winning team.