Skip to main content

Reply to "Poll - Trout, Cabrera or other for AL MVP"

2013 Dad- Sabermetrics being a guess couldn't be further from the truth. If you think a statistical formula is a guess, then you think batting average and RBIs are a guess too...because they are statistical formulas that were "concocted" as well. Sabermetrics are a calculated formula based on a variety of factors that all come into play when determining each statistical category. If it were a "guess", then I would assume every single MLB team wouldn't use sabermetrics. But they do, in much more detail than most people could ever imagine, and its been proven to work.

In my opinion there is no such thing as "traditional" stats and "non-traditional" stats. There is also no such thing as "old school" and "new aged". There are different ways to analyze things, and none of them are incorrect. But there are many analytical factors that are a much more accurate representation of a player's overall worth than some other statistical categories.

What frustrates me the most is when I hear people saying that sabermetrics is "hog-wash" and isn't truth. Just because a person doesn't understand it doesn't make it wrong. Its utilized by every team to immense proportions. It works. It's necessary. It's not a guess, its a successful formula.

Miguel Cabrera has had an unbelievable, historical year. No doubt about it.

Trout has been exponentially more valuable. I am 100% confident with that, and no one will change my view. If Cabrera wins the MVP I would congratulate him (if I ever met him), but would NEVER believe he deserved it over Trout. He doesn't.
Last edited by J H