Skip to main content

Reply to "Poll - Trout, Cabrera or other for AL MVP"

quote:
Miguel Cabrera did have an unbelievable, historical year.....winning the triple crown on a playoff team. I have a hard time accepting how exponentially more valuable a player can be on a team sitting at home October. If you value doesn't get your team in the playoffs, it's not as significant.

Once again, an argument that holds no water. Why is it Trout's fault that the Angels didn't make the playoffs? Its a team game. They aren't the Los Angeles Trouts of Anaheim.

A quote from a post I made 2 days ago addressing the same topic:

quote:
If your reasoning were to be held true throughout history in the game, then players like Ernie Banks, Brooks Robinson, Willie McCovey, Joe Torre, D-i-c-k Allen, Jeff Burroughs, Dave Parker, Keith Hernandez, Don Mattingly, Andre Dawson, George Bell, Jeff Bagwell and Ryan Howard would have never won a single MVP award.

The thought that a team's performance dictates a player's worth to the team is something I actually find humorously ridiculous. Why is it that player's fault that the other 24 guys on his team didn't perform well enough for the postseason?