Skip to main content

Reply to "Poll - Trout, Cabrera or other for AL MVP"

Guess I'm an old timer and depend on eye sight more than numbers or statistics. However, I do understand that the new metrics are here to stay. They really do give us more valuable information. At the same time I think there is room for even more.

It seems impossible to include every factor that goes into the results. Weather conditions, umpiring decisions, luck, travel, managorial decisions, range factor of opponents, injuries, injuries to teammates, pitchers faced, etc.

The MVP award goes to the person the voters decide on. Last year they voted for a pitcher. For sure Verlander was the best PITCHER last year. The best HITTER last year didn't get the award. Offensively a pitcher could never win this award.

So will the voters consider the defensive value of these two (Cabrera and Trout)? How many hits did Trout take away from hitters this year. How many homeruns did he take away?

Also I don't think Pujols hurt Trout as much as Trout might have helped Pujols. If you take away the first month of the season (without Trout) Pujols had a very good year. At one point a few weeks into the season Pujols was hitting under .200 with a couple RBI. With Trout in the lineup he had over 100 RBI.

Also don't think it's just a coincident that last year's MVP in the National League and Cabrera had the same guy hitting behind them. It's hard to pitch around someone when Prince Fielder is on deck. What if you flipped Prince and Cabrera in the order? Prince hit .313 with 30 HRS and 108 RBI, hitting behind the guy who led the league in RBI. Prince's OB% was .412 which was actually higher than Cabrera.

Keep in mind that Prince Fielder had a year where he hit 46 HRs with 141 RBI and he had another year where he hit 50 HRs. At the same time his OB% has been over .400 each of the past four years. Obviously it's a big advantage for whoever hits in front of him in the lineup.

Personally I thought Trout had the MVP wrapped up until the last couple weeks of the season. Both clubs were in must win games during that period. I think what players do in must wins games should go into the equation for MVP. I know all the games count whether it is June or September, but in September it's do or die.

I'm guessing there are more Mike Trout fans than Miguel Cabrera fans. Include me in the Trout band wagon, though I like the way Cabrera has handled all of this. IMO they are both very deserving and it's not going to be a pitcher this year. How about Trout for the Cy Young? Just kidding!