Skip to main content

Reply to "Poll - Trout, Cabrera or other for AL MVP"

quote:
It seems impossible to include every factor that goes into the results. Weather conditions, umpiring decisions, luck, travel, managorial decisions, range factor of opponents, injuries, injuries to teammates, pitchers faced, etc.

The MVP award goes to the person the voters decide on. Last year they voted for a pitcher. For sure Verlander was the best PITCHER last year. The best HITTER last year didn't get the award. Offensively a pitcher could never win this award.

I got a laugh reading this. I guess WAR does not include weather conditions, umpiring decisions, pitchers faced, bunting etc.

I can't argue that WAR does include more things but I am more on the side of KISS (Keep it simply .....). I think it was Albert Eistein that said to the effects that make things as simple as possible, but not more simplier.

If it is that simply to win a triple crown, why haven't Bond, McGuire, Alex R., Josh H., Prince F., etc and etc won it previously? Why it takes 45 years for the moon, sun, earth and the stars to line up for another triple crown winner?

I still don't understand why BA, HRs and RBIs do no matter any more or is not important. After all, simply put, isn't baseball about hitter hitting the ball and the pitcher trying to make the hitter miss the ball. If I have a team filled up the top most BA, HR and RBI hitters and lowest ERA pitchers, don't I have a much better chance of winning gams? I have witnessed few local games of no-hitter shutouts, where the offensive scored 10 or more runs. It would be insane if a manager does not want a team like that.