Skip to main content

Reply to "Poll - Trout, Cabrera or other for AL MVP"

If you ask me 6 months ago why coaches and managers do not believe in stats, I would said they are nuts. Now I get to understand why they would like to see baseball players live in action before drafting them. They are so many factors going into it, what stats do we take? How many base steals are equal to a base hit? How many base hits are equal to a HR? How many strikeouts(pitchers) is equivalent to a base hit(hitter), to compare a pitcher to a hitter? How many passed balls is equivalent to a dropped fly-ball? How many HR is equivalent to a walk-off HR? How many sacrificed flies are equal to a base hit? How many steal first bases are equal to stealing a third base? And etc etc. By manipulating all these weighted statistics, you could get what you want. Winning a triple crown is not easy. If you are a HR king, you might be a power hitter and always swing big; then you tend to strikeout more since you always go for the big hit. To maintain a good BA, you got to be disciplined and know when and how to hit. If you could win the HR and BA in the same year, that itself is a big accomplishment. Adding to the factor you got to drive someone home when there is a person on base; do you swing big or go for a base hit when you have a person on base? Now if there is a pitcher that has 20-wins, an ERA of say 1.90 and did a perfect game and he is still playing in October, then he might beat out Cabrera simply because it is an amazing feat for the pitcher.