Skip to main content

Reply to "Poll - Trout, Cabrera or other for AL MVP"

quote:
WAR is not a stat, it is a framework. It is designed to properly value all aspects of the game in judging performance *retrospectively* (not prospectively) - offesne, defense, baserunning, and the relative ease and value of playing certain positions defensively versus others. If you don't like the components of a particular variation, you can sub in something you like better. Neither variation is perfect, but the key is they both attempt to answer questions about value of performance CONSISTENTLY, WITHOUT BIAS, and COMPLETELY, whatever the parameters are. And the big point to WAR "opponents": if not WAR, what do you replace it with that you that achieves similar consistency and completeness? Looking just at offense, or just selected offensive stats (while selectively omitting others as it fits our pre-conceived notions of who was "best")

If it is not a stat, then it is even worse - too subjective and open to too much interpretation. Going back to my point, how to do values the jarring contrasts between the two:
-----
Main jarring contrasts:
Cabrera HR = 44, steal = 4, double = 40
Trout HR = 30, steal = 49, double = 27
-----

There must be some values, or weights, placed in each category. Every time you place a weight, as a economist will tell you, you are comparing something to another. It opens up to too much interpretations. I am looking at triple crown not as a stat or framework, but more from a historical point of view. As I said before, if a pitcher has a 20-win and ERA below 2.00 and throw a no-hitter or perfect game, then I might consider him over Cabrera. The fact that Cabrera made history, and lead in 3 major categories, it is a great accomplishment. He might be slow, so does Prince F., Pablo S., Barry B., etc. does it deminish their performance because they are big guys who are slow and could not steal a base or two? What is the main characteristic of baseball, hitting or base stealing? What framework or weights do you place on them? All the triple crown winnings have gone on the be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Cabrera has an excellent chance to be in HOF. Trout, he is still young need to prove himself year in and year out.