Skip to main content

Reply to "Poll - Trout, Cabrera or other for AL MVP"

I am not too sure whether MLB managers really concern themselves with WAR as much as those (staticians) who watch stats closely day in and day out. That is IMO, the job of the front office, the managers job is to deal with the hand he gets and that doesn't always add up to a player that has the same value as the one he will be replacing. WAR may help to contribute to a players worth when his agent is negotiating his FA salary. Very few managers have input on who the organization signs. If you think that players have no time to pay attention to other guys, do you think that managers have time to follow WAR and other stats as well?

I don't think that players when voting for awards care about those stats either, most players are not statisticians. They see things differently.
Writers see things differently to, as well as fans, in other words not all see things the same way.

I am going to assume that when voting for an MVP most take into consideration who made a more significant impact looking at stats as well as intangibles. This game is and will always be part in part about player intangibles.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out next week.

JMO.
Last edited by TPM