Skip to main content

Reply to "Poll - Trout, Cabrera or other for AL MVP"

Ok, water under the bridge and hope we can move forward. I hope it's a lesson learned and don't do it to anyone else. I like Mike trout story as well, as I have stated at the very beginning. He is humble and he recognizes talents of other players publicly. Whatever model the future will adopt, it will be what it will be. All I know is that when there are millions of dollars on the line, people will move from model to model to find the one that works at that particular time. Even Billy Beane(if I get the spelling right), the king of stats, would travel from places to places to see prospects in real action before he decides on something. I maybe know a thing or two about weighted stat as I got a US patent for an invention on a modeling, full disclosure. The computer model was used to analyze multi-million dollar designs that would go to production. Guess what, I got grilled and grilled and was asked to fit backward and predict forward what the results were going to be. I had to state my assumption and limitation because after all, my neck in on the line and if a project fails because I was too optimistic, I would be on the chopping board. It was apple to apple comparison modeling with a small degree of freedom. Words got around and soon I was asked by others to do the analysis for them. One day I got a call from a buddy asking if I could do a quick analysis for him. As usual I asked what it was and all the parameters. Then I told him, no, I could not do it for you. He asked why, you done it before? My answer was the thing you asked me to analyze was beyond the spec of my model, meaning it would dump out garbage. He insisted that I do it anyway and I did it with full disclosure. Sure enough the output was meaningless and I still have his respect, instead of non full disclosure. It was a long process, predicting the past and the future. I had to prove it again and again the results I got was right. If I ever made a wrong prediction without full disclosure of any particular limitation, I would be in the dog house for a long time. I wish you all the luck in your modeling efforts.