Skip to main content

Reply to "Poll - Trout, Cabrera or other for AL MVP"

bball123- Interesting thoughts. Can't say I disagree. Although I would venture to assume that you agree with the fact that retrospective modeling can lead to future predictions, at least to the best of our capabilities at this time. If Nate Silver can predict the election, then baseball should be able to predict future results fairly accurately. The question then becomes...is it easier to model a prediction based on Silver's political calculations? Does baseball present a tougher task due to more/different variables? Or, is baseball being looked at incorrectly altogether?

I'm not as bothered by Cabrera's victory as I am by Trout's one third place vote, or the inclusion of Raul Ibanez receiving a 10th place vote (What????). Those that vote need to view this award seriously. 28 people is too small a sample size as it is, baseball doesn't need individuals making decisions with no validity behind them.

quote:
Originally posted by Bear:

quote:
Originally posted by Three Bagger:
It's funny to compare Yaz, Robinson and Mantle to Cabrera because those three were Gold Glove level fielders who saved runs on defense and Robinson and Mantle were known as great baserunners also. Cabrera would be better compared to a two time Triple Crown winner, Ted Williams who also didn't win the MVP at that time because he was known as an indifferent baserunner who was just competent at his defensive position and was a much better hitter than Cabrera.

WRONG and on so many levels

Bear- How so?
Last edited by J H