Skip to main content

Reply to "Poll - Trout, Cabrera or other for AL MVP"

jaggerz,

I must point out some things that are totally wrong with your statements.

First, Cabrera is not even close to being average in the field, not at first base and certainly not at third base where he is one of the worst defensive ML players. This is supported by both new and old defensive metrics as well as by anyone's eyes who watched him on TV.

Using the fact that the Tigers moved him to third as an argument in his favor concerning value is a joke, because if he was concerned about his value to the Tigers, he would have volunteered to DH. Now that is a position he can REALLY play! Big Grin

While I of course agree that great hitters have a big impact on the game, your argument that great hitters like Cabrera (I guess Trout is NOT a great hitter?) cause teams to stratagize more are bunk. First, defensive positioning is used for ALL opposing hitters, not just the great ones. Much of the strategy of pitching to Cabrera probably involves statements like " get him to hit it on the ground, that's a sure double play" and "pitch around him, he will extend his hitting zone as he doesn't walk as much as many power hitters". Now, I acknowledge that Cabrera is a good bad ball hitter and that is why he doesn't walk 100 times a season despite being a great power hitter. He is flat out a great hitter. But truthfully, hitters like Trout who there is not a vast hitting data bank on, who can bunt, who can cause chaos on the basepaths and who every infielder must cheat slightly in on due to his incredible speed as well as every outfielder must race to cut off any ball even slightly in the gap and come up throwing all the time due to respect for Trout's aggressiveness once he gets past first base are the ones teams change their plans for.

Once again a Cabrera defender says let's just ignore fielding, baserunning, overall speed, like they play little or no part in the game. Then we can point to maybe, just maybe a slight offensive edge of Cabrera's and he will seem more valuable.

I feel as the old school writers are replaced by people who "get" that times, they are achangin, are replaced, the Sabermetric argument will find it's proper place in valuating players. As for people still locked on the Holy Grail of the RBI, they will fall farther behind every year.

Cabrera is far from the worst MVP--that is another discussion--and I have no problem with him winning it. But I am going to argue my point when I disagree and that is why this has been a good passionate debate. This debate is likely to get more heated as more and more people start realizing you have to go deeper than that one guy has 125 RBI's and one guy has 85, so the guy with 125 is always more valuable.
Last edited by Three Bagger