Skip to main content

Reply to "Poll - Trout, Cabrera or other for AL MVP"

Just some thoughts...

I will admit that my knowledge regarding situational sabermetrics is limited. I listened to a sabermetrics expert explain why an AB whether a lead off hit or walk off HR on opening day was equal to the same on the last day of the season. This was logical to me in some cases where the last game wasn't all that important.

For example... Bobby Thompson's walk off HR giving the Giants the pennant to me was more valuable than a walk off HR on opening day. If for no other reason than it is still talked about today. Statistically it is the same value as an opening game walk off HR, but which HR would people consider the most important or valuable?

Now I respect all the metrics involving baseball statistics. I can see the value and interest they bring to the game. However, based on these metrics Ben Zobrist would have been the MVP in 2011. Very good player, but who thinks he was the MVP?

I'm all for sabermetrics and increasing statistical information. MLB clubs utilize the information greatly. Just not sure it will prove which player is most valuable. And what does most valuable really mean? Is it the player who had the best statistical year? Is it the player who had the most impact on his team winning? Is it the best player? Is it the player who is worth the most money if they were a free agent? After all, wouldn't the player worth the most money in the open market be considered the real MVP.

Who would be worth the most money, Cabrera or Trout? I suppose Cabrera based on length of track record. Who would you take if the money was equal?

That leads to this... If we throw the salaries into who truly was the better VALUE, Mike Trout wins easily. If we are betting on who is more likely to have a similar season next year, I think you have to go with Cabrera as the safer pick.

The word is the Angels plan on moving Trout to LF next year. That kind of bothers me because Trout has the potential to be a modern day Willie Mays.