Skip to main content

Reply to "Poll - Trout, Cabrera or other for AL MVP"

Once again my knowledge of advanced metrics are limited. So I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. Actually more than one question.

With a runner at 2B and no outs and the hitter hits a ground ball to the secondbaseman is it considered. Does it depend on the situation?

If a player makes a mental error is that accounted for?

If a player takes it easy running to 1B or dogs it on a fly ball is that accounted for?

Is being a dumb lazy player accounted for?

I understand that most these things are noticed by coaches and management, but sometimes great statistics and talent give a player more leeway.

Anyway, I believe in the more information the better. Baseball is a game of percentages. The more and better statistics, the better playing the percentages gets. Advanced scouting along with sabermetrics are here to stay. It's a must if teams want to compete. It goes far beyond statistics, the more a opposing player is studied, the more you know his tendencies and weaknesses. That is why we sometimes see early success before enough information is gathered on a hitter or pitcher. Then a weakness is exploited until an adjustment is made. Bottom line... Every bit of information is important. That includes eyes, statistical data, mechanical data, experience, instincts, etc.

Statistics can improve predictability, it can tell us what the best odds are. Even with that, Predicting a half inning with any accuracy seems impossible. Then again I could predict a 3 up, 3 down half inning and I would be right much of the time.
Last edited by PGStaff