Skip to main content

Reply to "Poll - Trout, Cabrera or other for AL MVP"

PGStaff- Learning is my single favorite thing to do in the world. That may sound like a cliche but its the God's honest truth. There is no replacement for knowledge.

I also especially like the type of analysis we are discussing here because its all theoretical...I don't believe that someone can actually be right or wrong if they put their due diligence into the work. People that have real reasons for believing Miguel Cabrera is the MVP aren't wrong. I just don't agree. There's a very big difference between those two things.

I think the best part of retrospective analysis is the ability to recognize the faults and improve on the positives. No one is perfect, and very rarely is someone completely right. There have been a lot of articles written about Greg Morhardt, the scout who signed Mike Trout. In Trout's draft, there were four outfielders drafted before him (Donovan Tate, AJ Pollock, Jared Mitchell and Randal Grichuk). Was Morhardt more right than the scouts who signed those players? No. At the time, the scouts projected those players the way they projected them. They weren't wrong. Things just happen that are unforeseeable in the future.

Scouting and sabermetrics are intertwined in that sense, in my opinion. Unforeseeable future events eliminate any potential for perfection.

PG, you've admitted to being wrong before...and you guys are the best in the business. As I recall, an overweight HS 1B from Florida with a funny first name and a good lineage wasn't ranked as highly by you guys as he turned out to perform at the next level. He's been doing alright for himself hitting behind Miggy these days...

Sabermetrics isn't perfect. Scouting isn't perfect. No one is right, no one is wrong. But there is no denying the importance of improved efficiency in all aspects of the game. And ignoring any input that could assist in doing so would certainly not be behooving of an organization.
Last edited by J H