Skip to main content

Reply to "POP Time, 1.88 good?"

c2019 posted:
ironhorse posted:

Honest feedback is that he's is nowhere near a 1.88. The best MLB catchers barely avg that. Legit awesome throws in the show are 1.8-ish. Definitely some below. Sanchez the other night was 1.83 from his knees.

If I see arc in the Cs throw like your son's, it's not very likely its sub-2.0. The throws on the video I got at 2.10 and 2.19 on my stopwatch, and those aren't live game reps trying to get a strike. While I'm not saying he couldn't possibly throw 1.88 in a very controlled environment, it's nowhere close to a realistic representation to a college coach for recruiting purposes and probably hurts more than it helps to list it that way. A HS catcher consistently around 2.0 will shut down a lot of running games. Sub-2.0 and only the elite guys will even try to run.

Do you have a velo on him you could post? That would help. If he's close to or over 90mph than 1.88 is more likely, it just doesn't appear that way in the video.

I hope this doesn't come off as harsh, as I don't mean it that way, just unbiased feedback from my perspective.

I think you meant 80 mph If he's close to or over  than 1.88 

Not really. With his mechanics an 80 mph arm aint getting to 1.88. Most guys who are consistently in the 1.88 range are 90mph guys, more or less. I think a mid-80s arm could get you a "best" POP time in that range, but 1.88 wouldn't be the norm with that arm strength. Again, there are obviously exceptions, but this is my experience around here.

Footwork and "mechanics" are 1/2 of the POP time, the other half is velo.