Skip to main content

Reply to "POP Time, 1.88 good?"

2forU-  Bad advice.  If he does have a cannon they consider a project.  More likely if he can hit and has a strong arm they may move him.  

I didn't see a 1.88 either.  he had to jump up for the ball and automatically he is out of position and not prepared with foot work, etc.   I didn't want to disagree with the lady so I left it as, if he IS throwing a 1.88.....  Trying not to hurt feelings..lol     If you see a pop throw where the throwing little skims across the top of the mound and hits second base with out touching the ground, you are looking at a sub 2.00   You know it when you see it.  Damn thing looks like a rocket 4 feet off the ground that doesnt do much dipping at the end.   Fun to watch.

Buck eye-  Other than  the first block that was down the middle, your right.  The rest appeared off the plate and outside but in my opinion several of those should have been blocked.  Problem with his one knee approach isnt just the wide open 5 hole, but on the outside stuff (or inside) he cant turn his body to redirect the ball towards home plate and it also prevents him from really getting over top of the ball.   As a recruiter I would see that and then observe why I wasnt seeing any examples of blocks to his left?  It would make me wonder if he could get to those balls.  Again, not tending to be critical but these are important observations.  

I was also told recruiters prefer practice reps on their recruiting videos over game video.  Again, I am not a recruiter but I have been told that several places.

Cury-  If you look under the CLIPS section I actually have a small video of my 2020 blocking a few balls.  You can see both legs kick out and the catcher get over top (Make sure he buries his chin!).  There is a total of 4 balls directly in front of him.   That is the goal when you block.  Obviously not always doable but when your practicing, that is what you shoot for.   There was an article just out talking about the best catchers in the game TILL to this day spend hours working and perfecting their blocking.