Skip to main content

Reply to "POP Time, 1.88 good?"

jdb posted:
CollegeParentNoMore posted:

As an aside, depending upon the situation, if a runner is going and the pitch is in the dirt the catcher may attempt to pick it rather then block it. i.e. the base is stolen  whether its blocked or goes to the backstop so attempting a pick and throw is a viable option.

Personally I feel 80 is a very workable speed for catchers at the D1 college level.  

I read a lot of discussion on arm speed, blocking, framing etc..,, in many ways its all meaningless if the player can't hit college pitching.  A catcher throwing 90 who can't hit can be made into a pitcher, so he is a low risk from a recruiting point of view, a catcher throwing 75 is a high risk recruit if the bat is in question because there is nowhere else to play him.

Best argument yet for why higher velocity is better, but it still goes back to the "all else being equal" statement. 

If you're a catcher throwing 90, you have usually already been turned into a pitcher, especially if you can't hit.

You'd be surprised at how many coaches want every pitch in the dirt to be blocked and will penalize catchers for picking rather than blocking. 

This "pick on a SB" topic is interesting in itself.  I know there are coaches who are OK with the pick and, in certain circumstances, I am as well.  But I think if that ball does go to the backstop, the runner lands on 3b sometimes instead of 2b (if he is given the heads up before the slide and depending on the depth of the backstop) so there is still added risk.  I think it really comes down to instinct and reaction.  If it is a true short-hop pick, the catcher will likely start his cheat and is committed to the throw attempt anyway - and he is also much more likely to at least glove the ball and prevent the extra base.  Anything further out in the dirt, IMO, should be blocked traditionally and the extra base beyond the steal prevented.