Skip to main content

Reply to "POP Time, 1.88 good?"

2forU posted:
Smitty28 posted:
2forU posted:

Catch and release is .8 seconds of pop time (good footwork and mechanics), means that the ball needs to travel the 127 ft going 86.6 mph to get to 2b in one second, making pop time of 1.8 seconds

MPH to Feet per second is 86.6 Miles per Hour = 127.013333 Feet per Second

s = d/t

2forU,

You've calculated AVERAGE velocity, not MAX velocity.  Over a distance of 127 feet I would guess that velocity drops somewhere in the neighborhood of 15mph, so a throw averaging 86mph requires probably close to 95mph max velo.  I don't think anyone, even Yadi gets this from a crouch.  As an example, in some of Yadi's ~1.8s throws that I've seen broken down by Statcast, his exchange time (catch, transfer, footwork, release) is ~.65s or even better, allowing more time for ball in flight, and his stated (presumed to be max) velo is low-mid 80s but the average velo, using your formula above for 1.15s in flight, is in the mid-high 70s.

Well, my math skills don't include gravity.  That is where I draw the line - lol.  I'm sure that is someone way better at math than I am.

My point is that a catcher getting a ball down to 2nd base with flight time of 1.2s is really good and will result in a 1.9ish pop time if the other mechanics are good, and this would be an average velo of low 70s, and a max velo in the high 70s.  A lot of people don't understand that throwing from the crouch makes it very difficult to get the kind of velo numbers you see off the mound or across the infield or outfield, and even the most elite studs are hitting max velos of low to mid 80s.  I can't think of any catcher that's been recorded hitting 90s from the crouch.