Skip to main content

Reply to "Pop Time & Velo"

quote:
I have been clocked at 1.92 (class of 2015).

Just curious, but where did you hear that you threw this time? Was it at a showcase, tryout, practice throw that your coach or dad timed?

There are many important variables when considering the validity of those times. Did it happen in a game, with a batter in the box, with a coach timing the throw who knows what they are doing?...That is the only way that throw means much in the wide scheme of things. I can tell you that as a coach who travels around the country training catchers, there are far more "showcase" throws under 2.0 than realistic ones. And most people end up making a false assumption that college coaches can't tell the difference. Certainly not trying to come across skeptical, but having put a watch on some 100-150 catchers from High School to NCAA Div. 1 ball in the past year during game situations or realistic throwing conditions, I can say that the number of true sub-2.0 throws is much much lower than what many people think. I can honestly say that I can count the number of actual game throws under 2.0 on both hands and still have fingers left.

If your throw was in a game with a competent coach holding the watch, then it most assuredly says that you have a very good throw to second base, but there are so many more factors that would go into judging your overall ability behind the plate and the throw itself. Receiving, Blocking, Etc...

One of the most important things to watch for in a catcher actually pertains to the throw. Are the mechanics you use creating an efficient throwing motion or will they compromise your arm's health in the next few years.

I can unfortunately speak from personal experience, as I had an extremely strong arm when I played (85+ out of the crouch by the time I was 18) but the flawed throwing motion I used caused my arm to fall apart far too early during my playing career. Because I was able to throw well at an early age, nobody ever tried to change my mechanics. Trust me when I say that I wish someone would have ignored the times on the watch and said something.

Just something to consider when evaluating yourself or comparing your throw to other catchers around the country, as it is certainly one of the harder things to do as an athlete.