Skip to main content

Reply to "Pop time expectations"

My point is I do alot of showcase events where catchers are timed. I go to alot of showcase events and time them myself. I have coached for many years in hs and put the watch on kids every game. I scout and always get some pop times. If I had a nickle for everytime I heard a kid was a consistent 2.0 and I saw him and he was 2.15 to 2.2 I would have heck of stash of nickles.

The same for pitchers that you are told hit 90 but really hit 84. Guys that consistently and accurately throw 2.0 and below in game situations without cheating , while still doing their primary job are as rare as guys that can throw 90. What I evaluate when I am watching catchers throwing is arm strength from the catchers posistion , footwork , transfer , ability to receive and ability to throw accurately to the bag , carry through the bag.

When you see a kid that knows how to properly receive it and does , has good footwork , transfer and then the arm strength from the posistion the pop time is always there. The more arm strength a kid has the margin for error. The less arm strength the less margin for error. Arm strength is the one thing a coach can not teach your kid. Work on it and work on your mechanics behind the plate. You are not evaluated on your ability to hold runners , the speed of the runner etc. You are evaluated on what you can control.