Skip to main content

Reply to "Pop time expectations"

I played summer and fall ball in high school with a catcher who was a fairly high draft pick out of a high school program that typically generates a few draft picks a year (and has some big name alumni).

As an outsider looking in I would have said that this young man was drafted solely on his arm. He literally has the best arm I've ever seen on a catcher anywhere...as a 17 year old I heard a few scouts have his arm graded as a 70 on the MLB scale. However, I pitched to him for several years, and started to get a grasp and understanding of what made him one of the elite backstops in the country. I have always been somewhat of a "thinking" pitcher, a guy without the velocity to dominate a game and a necessity to rely on keeping hitters off balance. I have thrown to several catchers in the past that grew frustrated because of my constant shaking off of their signs. However, in the years that I threw to this young man, I never once shook him off. At first, it was simply because I bought into the hype and believed I should listen because he was supposed to be THAT good. But as I gradually got to know him better, I started thinking through at-bats with him, and never disagreed with his decisions. He always seemed to know the right pitch to throw, the right location to throw to. He always seemed to know when the other team was hitting and running or bunting or when a take sign was on. He always seemed to know when I was getting flustered or when I was getting into a rhythm and adjusted the speed of the game accordingly.

As a pitcher, he certainly made things a lot easier. Even though he'd been clocked in the 1.8 range and in the low-90s off the mound (mid-80's from behind the plate) there was much more to him than just his ability to throw the ball hard.

TRhit can attest to this young man as well. He played for him for several years.