Skip to main content

Reply to ""Pop Time" vs accuracy"

Glad to see some good discussion on the catching boards. By cheating at combines/try outs, with all experienced catchers (and at 16u+ that should be the case but there are some obvious exceptions), I mean the minor and effective cheats such as angling body SLIGHTLY, starting to come up as the slow pitch is in-bound, and most of all--getting the ball downrange quickly and accuracy distant second in importance. Also, I've read/heard that bullet one-hops on the money (while maybe not "sexy") during official pop-time measurements, or in-game for that matter, often get there FASTER. Thus shaving the all-important pop-time by a tenth of a second is the way to go.

Many catchers, my son included, tend to focus on the beautiful all in-air throw that hits the glove a 1-2 feet to the right of the bag and a foot off the ground. But for pop time measurements, one-hopper all the way with the subtle/effective cheats going forward and "ballpark accuracy".. I think with active practice and with such an approach, my son can get 2.0-2.05 vicinity pops. By this time next year after another winter of velo training and conditioning in general, he'll get sub-2.0. We'll see. Good think he's a damn fine defensive catcher too!