Skip to main content

Reply to ""Pop Time" vs accuracy"

Originally Posted by Stats4Gnats:

Originally Posted by Batty67:

Thanks for the physics 101 lecture (and condescension; but hey, I'm being a bit sarcastic so we'll call it even). But if you read my post as specifically regards to my education and training, you'd notice that I requested empirical data that shows the difference in arcs (or lack thereof). Do you have any? I've also heard/read that velocity relatively, accounts for less than half of the time to get the ball to 2B. Speed of transfer, footwork, and momentum are very important. Heck, I'd love to see a detailed/quantitative breakdown of their importance in the overall time.

To respond qualitatively/anecdotally, per my first comment on this thread, I noticed that most of the 2.0 and sub-2.0 poptimes I witnessed at the last combine I went to (with 30 or so catchers) one-hopped and had relatively poor accuracy. So, perhaps that was all a huge anecdotal coincidence? This thread reminded me of that and that I recently read, for pop time measurements, get rid of the ball as fast as possible, with a low arc, and accuracy is much less important. Perhaps that advice was also erroneous?

HERETIC! BLASPHEMER! How dare you ask for evidence? Why can’t you just accept what someone on this site who’s made 5,000 posts says?

This whole discussion sure seems to duplicate the feelings about pitching velocity. To many it doesn’t make any difference if one pitcher has superior mechanics, a better work ethic, more movement, better control, and gets batters out at a higher rate than one who has 3 more Klicks on the gun. It’s all about the velocity.

That was proved to me when it was said that of 2 catchers who have the same pop-2-pop time, the one who had the better mechanics was seen as inferior to the one with a “bullet” throw.

Much easier to improve on ones mechanics than improvement of arm velocity. The player with the better arm usually has a higher ceiling as far as Pop times.